I planted jalapeños this year and not sure why since I usually have a lot of peppers that I don’t use and end up freezing. So I was looking for some jalapeno recipes and thought about making one that seemed easy enough but I didn’t have everything that it called for in the recipe so I just substituted some ingredients and it came out great!
I’ve learned that recipes should be used as inspirations or guidelines to help you create your own. Most of the time when I find a recipe I want to make, I usually don’t have some of the ingredients so I’ve learned to substitute.
So I found a recipe from the Cooking Light Crave! cookbook but didn’t have the bacon, cilantro, fat-free cream cheese, extra sharp cheddar and the 14 jalapenos that it called for.
Here is what I came up with and it worked!
Warning: they are spicy!!!! but good.
Here is what you will need:
5 slices of peperoni diced really small
- 4 ounces of cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup of shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup of minced green onions ( I had this in my garden)
- 1 tsp. of fresh lime juice ( I usually like to have at least one lime in my fridge at all times)
- 1/4 tsp. of kosher salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 6 -8 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Cooking spray
- 2 tbsp. chopped seeded tomato
Here is what you do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Combine peperoni, cheeses, onion, lime, salt and garlic stirring to combine. Divide cheese mixture among pepper halves. Place peppers on a sheet pan sprayed with cooking spray.
3. Place in oven for about 8 minutes ( check them at 5 min) until cheese mixture is lightly browned.
4. Sprinkle with tomato and enjoy! (with maybe a glass of milk)
* add diced ham in place of the pepperoni.