The weather here is starting to get chili! (ha,ha,ha)
So good old comfort food is always the best this time of the year. Stews, soups, anything in the crockpot and of course chili.
Here is a versatile chili recipe that you can use as an inspiration for your own version if you’d like.
Here’s what you will need:
2.Olive oil (drizzle)
3. 1b of ground chicken, beef, meatloaf mix, or turkey ( I used chicken)
4. chili powder (2 tbsp.)
5. cumin (1 tsp.)
6. low sodium taco seasoning (1 tbsp.)
7. salt and pepper to taste
8. 14.5 ounce can of diced tomato
9. 8 ounce can of tomato paste
10. 14.5 ounce can of corn (drain the liquid but keep 1/4 cup of the liquid)
11. 14.5 ounce can of red kidney beans (undrained)
12. minced garlic (1 clove)
Here is what you need to do:
1. Drizzle olive oil in a large stock pot and place on medium heat.
2. Place the garlic and meat together in pan and brown the meat on medium heat.
3. Drain the fat from pan.
4. Add the corn, reserved liquid from the corn, beans, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and the taco seasoning to the browned meat.
5. Cook on low for 1 hour.
6. Season the chili with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add your favorite toppings like shredded Mexican cheese and sour cream.
Slice some avocado and serve it on the side with some white rice. Yuuummmm!!
Tip: If you are serving this for entertaining, you can put your chili in a large crockpot to stay warm and place it on your buffet table along with some toppings for your guests to add for themselves.
Tip: To add another depth of flavor you can put a couple of corn tortillas in a blender with a tablespoon of water, blend it up until it becomes a paste and add this to your chili after the meat is browned.
Tip: You can add 1/4 cup of diced red or green peppers
Tip: This is a good way to get your kids to eat beans.. if you notice that they are pushing the beans to the side and still wont eat it then the next time you make this try mashing up the beans in the can before adding it to your chili. (ha,ha,ha.. it pays to be sneaky!)